The Importance of Adult Bible Fellowships Download
Adult Bible Fellowships: Groups of people committed to know and apply the Word together in a caring fellowship, with clear organization to provide care, discipleship, and outreach.
A community within the church . . . to serve and love each other . . . to reach out.
A Sunday adult class geared for true congregational life, where “one another’s” are planned.
Why people need community (and worship services do not give it)
- God wants us to love and serve each other, and to show care, and we have to organize to do that. (Phil 2:1-4; I John 4; Eph 2)
- Leaders can lead about 90 people. We must form smaller groups for other to help.
(Ex 18; Eph 4:11-14)
- People need to be loved . “High tech, high touch.”
- We grow best in community .
- Medium-size communities provide all types of people, not just your favorites .
- Each age group has similar interests and desires.
- Larger gatherings are for different purposes. The up-to-90 rule.
Gathering Related to the Word
Celebration or Worship (80+) Motivation
Congregation or “Community” (10 – 80) Application
Cell or Small Group (3 – 7)
The ABF Book is available through CE National by calling 574.267.6622. The cost is $5 plus shipping.
We have all heard the phrase, “a church within a church” and know that even in small churches there are smaller groups of people that care for each other and hold each other accountable. These are often randomly formed groups and often grow out of similar circumstances in life.
Having been involved in a church for a long time (pastor for over 25 years in Akron, Ohio), Knute knows the value of this type of structure within a church. He has also heard many of the questions that come from the establishment of this type of class and has given attention to those frequently asked questions in the book.
If you are looking for a way to stir up the “one anothering” in your church, you might want to look at this easy-read book and get an idea of how ABFs might help.