Because of our allegiance to our Lord Jesus Christ and to the inspired Word of God, the Bible, we choose to understand and teach that marriage is a sacred covenant and commitment reserved for one woman and one man.
Our policy is to honor or officiate at only that kind of marriage.
Therefore we believe that a homosexual relationship is contrary to God’s truth and clear guidance. We will seek to love and help anyone who differs with this, Continue reading “Church Policy on Same-sex Attraction and Same-sex Marriage”
- The senior pastor is not a true member.
- The pastor(s) do not disciple and prepare “prospectives.”
- There are no term limits.
- The board is too small.
Continue reading “Common Mistakes, Main Board”
TO BE THE MAIN TEAM OF THE BOARD TO GIVE OVERSIGHT TO THE FINANCES AND MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE BOARD ABOUT BUDGET
Personnel: At least two or three members of the board, including one as chairman of finances; one to three others from the church as determined by the board; and these ex-officio members: senior pastor and chair of the board, both of whom are voting members of all church committees. Continue reading “JOB DESCRIPTION for Finance Committee of the Board of the Church”
TO BE THE MAIN TEAM OF THE BOARD TO GIVE OVERSIGHT TO THE BUILDING IMPROVEMENT AND CAPITAL BUDGET OF THE CHURCH
Personnel: At least two members of the board, including one as chair of building/capital, and one to three others from the church as determined by the board; and these ex-officio members: senior pastor and chair of the board, Continue reading “JOB DESCRIPTION for Building/Capital Committee of the Board of the Church”
Setting Salaries on a Church Staff
For sure a church should have steps for evaluating and setting salaries on paper so that “the wheel” is not reinvented each year, and as a help to new leaders.
PRESUPPOSITIONS Continue reading “Memo On Setting Salaries for Church Staff”
For sure a church should have steps for evaluating and setting salaries on paper so that “the wheel” is not reinvented each year, and as a help to new leaders. Continue reading “Setting Salaries On A Church’s Staff”
Some decisions to excel are tough to make, for they take you out of the “aw shucks” mode, and call for strong pastoral leadership. See if you are willing!
- The senior leader envisions and teaches the embraceable values and purposeful mission goal for the church.
- The speaking pastor continually improves.
- The pastor defines the board’s role as guardianship of excellence and guidance of values rather than that of management and staff functions.
- The pastor earns and embraces the role of senior leader of this ministry, this local church, by vision, hard smart work, and excellence.
- The pastor makes the hard calls to improve and make excellent the work of friends on staff—either to demand a change or dismiss the person.
- The pastor and staff choose, at least subconsciously, to “swim hard” rather than to “float,” to excel rather than to be comfortable.
- The leader risks being a little obsessive about details of ministry, believing “the little pixels make the big picture.” Even non-chalant strong leaders worry about small excellencies.
- Fewer people are involved in congregational decisions. Voting at annual membership meetings pertains to call of senior pastor, main board, budget and capital decisions, and constitution issues. This can be hard for people who remember the small “church family” meetings.
Continue reading “Excellence Must Be Chosen For a Mid-sized Church to Grow”
Keys to a good board ministry
(Relationship, Relationship, Relationship) Download
If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
[The overall health is equal to the sum of its parts.]
1. Pastors and Elders to God
a. Stay very close; love with whole heart.
b. Pray for His glory, His wisdom and strength.
c. Make decisions for Him, never for self.
d. Glorify Him.
Matthew 16 Who will build this?
2. Pastor to Elder Continue reading “Relationship, Relationship, Relationship -Board”